Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Million Little Pieces #5

One of the more intense scenes in, A Million Little Pieces, is when Lily and James are caught together and Lily leaves the rehab center after being told they will not be able to see each other again. When James asks Lincoln where Lily is he tells him, “We know what we’re doing here. We have rules for a reason. Maybe you’ll listen a bit better from now on” (345). James is infuriated and knows that he can help Lily and wants to go after her. Hank takes James along with Lincoln on a search for Lily. When James finds out where she is, he immediately runs into the crack house to rescue her without a second thought. The entire time the question of if he will be able to withstand the powerful drug is bouncing around in your mind. When he walks in to find Lily selling her body for drugs, he orders the man out of the room and turns to Lily, “She crawls into the corner, clutching her gear. She shakes her head. We’re going to leave that shit here and we’re going home. She clutches, shakes her head, her eyes are gone, she is gone” (355). I can’t imagine the effect these drugs have on people I just know that it is something I hope I am never forced to deal with, especially with someone I love.

As James sits in the corner clutching Lily;
There is a burst of anger and fear and punching and pushing and she stops. Goes limp. I feel the pipe and bag against my chest. I feel them fall away, hear them hit the floor. I think about picking them up the urge is so f***ing strong I hold on to her. I hold on until it goes away. Hold on. (355)
This is the first instance where James fights his urges using not the rehab way but his own determination and love for Lily. He puts her ahead of him and is therefore able to get them both out of there unharmed. Although it is a miracle that he was able to resist the drug, one questions what may happen when Lily isn’t there to take his mind away.

No comments: