Sunday, March 22, 2009

The House at Sugar Beach #4

A shocking turn in the story was when Helene’s parents got a divorce. For years her mother had been threatening that she would leave if her father didn’t stop sleeping around but in the end, he was the one that left. While they were on vacation in the United States, Mommee received a letter from her husband saying he wanted a divorce and everyone was shocked, especially Helene. “I had a lot of faith in my ability to talk mommee into coming back to daddy if she left him. Never, not once, had I thought it would be daddy who would leave. I hadn’t practiced talking him out of leaving,” (Cooper 130). Helene is so young and naive and didn’t deserve to go through that.
I normally think of divorce as an ugly American custom and it never even really occurred to me that it might be happening in Africa. This hit the Cooper family really hard and everyone was extremely distraught. There are so many wars and terrible things going on over there. It is tragic to think that even young children if Africa have to deal with it on top of all the other cultural struggles going on around them.

No comments: